Friday, July 3, 2009

What to do with dry beans?

I, like many of you, was at a loss when it comes to cooking dry beans. All of my previous attempts were for naught. This is, until a good friend (who is an expert at cooking beans) told me the best way to cook them.

In a crock pot place-
1 lb. bag of dry bean of choice
6 C water
Clove of garlic
1/2 onion (I prefer mine diced)

Cook on high for at least 3.5 hours or until bean is soft. Salt to taste.
You can use this recipe for any kind of bean, pinto, black, kidney, etc.
The onion and garlic help prevent gas.
You can even re-fry them in a little oil on the stove top if you like re-fried beans.

This bean recipe will change your life. It's changed mine. So easy. So cheap.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Is it a coincidence that I have been asking around and trying to figure out how to cook my beans, and here you have a post on JUST that! I even dreamt last night that I was on the Oprah show and we learned how to cook beans. it's just consuming my life, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have to soak them first? Or, just stick em straight in the crock pot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No soaking. Just follow the recipe in the post.

    ReplyDelete